ODOR OF SMOKE INSIDE – WASHINGTON COLLEGE, CHESTERTOWN

25 February 2017
Category
News

Tags , , , , ,

At 4:50 pm on Saturday, February 25, 2017, the Chestertown Volunteer Fire Company, along with mutual aid companies, was dispatched for a Commercial Building Fire at the Washington College Dining Hall, 300 block of Washington Avenue. Washington College Public Safety officers were on-location with smoke in the building!

Units arrived with nothing evident, investigating. The building was in the process of being evacuated. The first engine from Chestertown VFC dropped a supply line from the hydrant at the corner of Washington Avenue & Cater Walk. Once the engine was spotted in front of the building, a 1-3/4″ hose was deployed to the front door. The line was never charged with water. The crew went in to investigate.

It was determined there had been a small grease fire in the hood system above the deep fryers. Because the fire was not hot enough, the hood fire suppression system never activated. Smoke from this small fire was picked up by the building HVAC unit and circulated throughout. After determining the fire was out, occupants were cleared to reenter the building.

Photographs courtesy of David Coleman & Larry Slagle

 

Comments are closed.